Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Demo Call Gone Wrong

So I signed up for a free trial of an online product, a subscription service. Of course, they rope you in by needing to speak with you first. I get it. Been there, done that.

The sales rep went through a process of his demo of his software to me. He did a decent job of casually extracting information from me to help make the demo more relevant. He was conversational, did not seem as if he was reading from a script. That was the good.

The bad. Well, he did not set expectations at the beginning of the call, especially with how long it would take. 30 minutes later, I was getting antsy to get on with my job. At which point he may have sensed it, and he tried to close me. Some sales manager taught him this assumptive close and he probably uses it on everyone, and his management probably wonders why he is not hitting his numbers. Without so much a question as to whether I felt it was the right product, whether it would be beneficial, without even a real conversation about how we could use the tool to save money make money or have a business reason to purchase it, he tried for 3 users at $5000. He didn't know if I was a decision maker. He did not know if I had authority to purchase. He did not know if I had a budget. He did not know if I even wanted it.

Probably the most ill timed closing attempt I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment