Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Swing Big.

"I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

July 11, 1914 - Babe Ruth made his 1st appearance in the big leagues with Boston and was credited as the winning pitcher. The beginning of the career of the most fanous baseball player in history.

A complicated man to be sure with many strengths and weaknesses, his biography is fascinating. What gets me the most though is his love for the game, the sheer fun he had. He enjoyed helping people, he enjoyed the fans, he seemed to enjoy and live his life like few people do. I am sure his money and fame had something to do with it, ("If it wasn't for baseball, I'd be in either the penitentiary or the cemetery.") but I believe we can all learn a bit from him. Quit complaining and be happy with what you have.

But back to Ruth's comments about swinging big. Give it all you have. This is a life lesson to be remembered, as you do not know what you could have if you don't try, if you don't swing for the fences, if you don't reach for the stars, if you don't stretch for the impossible. Ask the prettiest girl out for a date, go for the job or the promotion that you don't think you have a chance of landing, go for the large client, try to speak with the CEO. Do not sit afterwards regretting what you did not try, but live with the satisfaction that you did try. Even with failure, the attempt was well worth the effort. You never will succed if you do not push yourself, to reach beyond. If you cannot do it yourself, recognize it, and ask for help. Your wife, friends, brother, boss, coworker, they can help you talk through it. Then do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment